Apple released iOS5 yesterday. The update process was not as smooth as I expected – I couldn’t restore my backup from version 5 to version 5 completely. In essence, all media except the photos were lost. Another thing where iOS5 is not smooth is the activation of the iMessage service. At least for me, it kept displaying “waiting for activation”. The trick that made things work:
- Go to Settings > Messages
- Open the Receive At Settings
- Enter a new e-mail address
- A verification mail is sent to that e-mail address, open it, click on the link and verify the address by entering your Apple ID
- Now, this does not finish the process yet
Go to Settings > Messages > Receive At
The e-mail address you just entered will still show verifiying.
- Tap the e-mail address again and tap on Resend
- Now your iMessage account is activated, pick the right CallerID and you are ready to send messages.